Almond Rhubarb Coffee CakeHere is the recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil**
- 1/3 cup apple sauce**
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sliced almonds
**Original recipe called for 2/3 cup of vegetable oil but I opted for 1/3 cup apple sauce instead and 1/3 cup canola oil because that is what I had.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch round pans. (I used 2 glass square pans about 8 or 9 inches)
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, apple sauce, egg, and vanilla together until smooth. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into prepared pans.
- In a small bowl, combine white sugar and butter or margarine. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake tests done.