Taco Spaghetti (OAMC)
This recipe makes 2 casseroles. One to eat right away and 1 to freeze for future use. Of course, you can freeze both or eat both!
SERVES 12 , 2 casseroles
|10||ounces dried spaghetti or linguine or fettuccine, broken|
|2||lbs ground beef or ground turkey|
|2||large onions, chopped|
|1 1/2||cups water|
|1 (1 1/4||ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix|
|2 (11||ounce) cans corn mixed with chopped peppers, drained|
|1 1/2||cups colby-monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1||cup favorite salsa|
|2 (4 1/2||ounce) cans diced green chili peppers, drained|
|4||cups lettuce, shredded|
|1||medium tomato, chopped|
- Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, cook ground meat and onion until meat is brown, in a dutch oven.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in water and taco seasoning mix.
- Bring to boiling and reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked pasta, corn, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, salsa and chili peppers Divide mix evenly between 2 lightly greased 2 qt casseroles.
- Package up, lable and freeze up to 3 months.
- To serve remaining casserole, cover and bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Top with lettuce and chopped tomato.
- If desired, pass broken tortilla chips and dairy sour cream as additional toppings.
- To serve the 2nd casserole, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake, covered in a 375F oven for 1 hour or until heated through, stirring once about halfway through baking time.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Serve with 4 cups shredded lettuce and 1 medum tomato, chopped.
I loved this easy recipe, and it made a ton.Here's what I did.....I browned 2# of ground round and only added about 1 cup of water with the taco seasoning, cooked it till it was all reduced as I did not want it to be watery.Also added 2 pkg. of taco seasoning because I had 16oz. of fresh angel hair pasta that I needed to use up.1 12oz. jar of salsa was added and after mixing all the ingredients together I was able to get 2 huge servings, one for the freezer and one going in the oven.I baked the casserole as directed and after 20 minutes I added more cheese and some crushed tortillas to the top and back in the oven to crisp up for a few minutes.It was wonderful, and mine was not watery in the least, very thick and gooey.The fresh pasta gave it a fluffiness that was melt in your mouth good.Very good recipe, thanks.