Meal plans based on this week's sales flyersThere are some good sales on this week. I thought I would put together a healthy meal plan based on the sales flyers this week.
NOTE: Walmart is great for price matching anyone's flyers if it is the exact same product. Just helps make one trip only when shopping or at least cuts down on many shopping trips.
- 6 oz. spaghetti, cooked and still warm (Food Basics Primo Pasta 0.99)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 well beaten egg
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. cottage cheese (Food Basics 2.49)
- 1/2 c. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (28 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce (Food Basics Ragu 0.88)
Combine hot cooked spaghetti with butter until butter is melted. Add egg and Parmesan cheese. Place in pie dish and form a "crust" with a well in the center. Spread cottage cheese over spaghetti in pie dish. Cover with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 30 minutes at 350°F or until bubbly. Cut into slices and serve.Spinach Salad
- Spinach leaves* (baby) or spinach salad mix (RCSS 3.99)*will do 2 meals plus
- Sunflower seeds
- grated carrot(A&P 1.00)
- salad dressing
Wash greens thoroughly and pat dry. Mix half of spinach and "crunchy" ingredients together just before serving, Add salad dressing to taste just before serving.
- 1 Lb lean ground beef (RCSS 2.00)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (Food Basics 0.99lb)
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Save 2 cups from this for Sloppy Joe pizza later in the week.
Steamed Broccoli (A&P 1.00)
Sloppy Joe Pizza
- 2 cups Sloppy Joe sauce (from few nights before)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cups colby-jack or Mexican blend* cheese
- 1 recipe bread machine pizza dough, prepared and baked until almost done
In a skillet, combine Sloppy Joe sauce, corn, and green onions. Heat through. Spread mixture on top of baked pizza crust and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
**Serve spinach salad with this **
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 1/2 cups wide egg noodles (No Yolk Egg Noodles 1.49-Food Basics)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 container chicken broth (1.99 - RCSS)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chopped celery or Carrots or both
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups diced, cooked chicken meat (chicken thighs 2.00lb - RCSS)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil chicken. Add egg noodles and oil, and boil for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and rinse under cool running water.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine broth, salt, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in celery and onion. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gradually add to soup, stirring constantly. Stir in noodles and chicken, and heat through.
Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin
- 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins (2.00lb - RCSS or 1.49 - Food Basics)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place the tenderloins in an 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 25-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with pan drippings.
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 2/3 c. honey
- 6 tbsp. butter
Cook carrots in a small amount of water until tender crisp. Drain water, add honey and butter. Cook on med. low until carrots are glazed, turning carrots once or twice.
Put some quick meals into the mix with this not to mention the turkey on sale at Foodland for only 0.99/lb... think of all the meals you can get out of that... turkey dinner ... turkey wraps (A&P has wraps on for 1.99) and then maybe a turkey pot pie or just hot turkey sandwiches.
Other things that caught my eye...
Yams - 0.79
Seedless Cucumbers 0.99 (couple this with tomatoes on sale at RCSS for 1.00/lb it would make a great tomato & Cucumber salad a favourite at our house)
Tortilla wraps 1.99
Real Canadian Superstore
Oasis Orange Juice 1.00
Shredded lettuce 1.00
Apple Juice 1.00
Baby Carrots 1.00
Granny Smith Apples 1.49/lb (cooked apples good desert one night as a treat)