Stretching your dollar... saving on Utilities
|photo via freedigitalphotos.net|
After years of having a cellphone and always killing my apps (turning them off) so it doesn't waste my battery I realized that I definitely need to do the same thing in my home. I need to unplug my electronics and appliances to save money for my household. Everyone who knows me knows I am about saving money... here are a few things that I have done to help out with saving and conserving on utilities over the years.
- turn off the facet while brushing your teeth
- lower the temperature on your hot water tank
- keep the lights off during the day
- line dry clothes outside
- lower your thermostat at night
- open windows to cool down the house in cool summer nights
- don't use the dishwashers drying cycle
- take shorter showers
- insulate your water pipes
- use night lights in the bathroom
- use night lights that only come on when it is dark
- turn off electrical items at the plug at night or when not in use (a power bar makes this easy)
- lower your thermostat in the winter months and put on a sweater.
- change your light bulbs to CFL ones
- insulate your water heater
- set your washer to cold
- use timers on lights
- run your dishwasher only when full
This is just a few ideas to save on your utilities. Please if you have other ideas please share them with me and everyone who reads this post.